top of page

Preparing For Your Pool


Underground Lines
The typical setbacks required for common household underground lines is 5' from water’s edge to electrical, gas, telephone, city water and cable TV lines. This does not include lines buried in a utility easement.

Overhead Lines
Most insulated household service wires (electric, telephone, and cable) are required to be a minimum of 10' from water’s edge. If you cannot maintain 10' to water’s edge, it will be necessary to bury wires or have the overhead service moved to another location.

Access To Backyard
As a rule of thumb, in order to accommodate standard sized machinery, we generally need at least 8'6" opening with 18' of overhead clearance. We can, however, use a miniature excavator and overhead boom truck to lift the pool over your house and place it in your backyard if access is too tight. The amount of landscape repair needed after installation will depend on several factors including slope of yard, type of soil, current weather conditions, and size of machinery needed.

Surface Drainage
The pool shell and all related accessories (concrete apron, fence, and landscaping) must not impede the drainage of surface water from downspouts, sump lines, sprinklers, or heavy rainfall to their intended destination (storm sewer basin, pond, ditch, street, etc.) Often times, it is necessary to install deck drains in the concrete apron and reroute existing downspouts, sprinklers, and sump lines to avoid damage to your new pool.

Retention Walls
Retaining walls may be needed if the final grade exceeds a slope of 1' in height to every 6' in length. Types of retention walls include boulders, colored blocks, wood timbers, and poured concrete. Even mounded dirt can be used as a small retention wall if your lot is large enough.



Setback Requirements
Each and every municipality independently governs how close a pool can be located to the house, property lines, septic fields, wells, overhead decks, easements, garages, out buildings, wetlands, woodlands, overhead wires, and waterways. Some cities even have laws that restrict lot coverage percentages. If your pool does not meet the criteria for desired placement, a variance can sometimes be obtained from your local municipality.

Most states require that all inground pools must have a fence. Your local municipality can add additional ordinances to the state requirements. Door alarms are also required on any doors that have direct access to the pool. This does not include pool gates that are self-latching and self-closing. The only exceptions to installing door alarms are to encapsulate the pool perimeter with fencing or to install a key-operated safety cover.


Mortgage Survey/ Plot Plan
It is extremely helpful if you have a survey available when a salesperson comes to your home. This will help locate lot lines, easements, wetlands, etc. We also use your survey to obtain the necessary building permits for pool installation. You normally would have received a mortgage survey from your title company at the time of your closing. If you do not have a mortgage or have not officially closed on your home, you may be able to get a survey from the builder/ developer. As a last resort, we can sometimes make a hand sketch to submit for the necessary permits. If your city does not accept a hand sketch, a land survey can be obtained for approximately $600-$1200, depending on the size of your lot.



Harbor Beach
Grand Traverse
Crystal Bay
Bay Shore
bottom of page